I just wanted to use a lot of colorful boxes in a display. I didn’t have a great philosophy or any deep thoughts about the topic…. just an image in my head that wanted to be acknowledged.
Searching the internet for phrases with boxes I stumbled on ‘Pandora’s box’. A great title for a display! How to match it with a theme or topic I didn’t consider; that was something I would ponder about later.
The idea came first and I was sure that the content could be customized……
At a cheap party shop I roamed around and found the most fantastic boxes in different colors and sizes.
A package of large (1 meter) straws in vibrant colours suited me as well and the shop also provided rolls of wrapping paper that would go well with the theme.
During a second visit I noticed a string of colourful lanterns, not really needed but by now I was so in the mood that I couldn’t keep myself from buying it. Feeling guilty and happy at the same time I paid and justified it by telling myself that the display is an integral part of the library, that it is there for a full term and it will be made for the price of one art book or three novels……
What you need:
- Wrapping paper
- Boxes in different sizes and colours
- Strong black tape (or tape in the colour of your background)
- Package of large straws
- String of colourful lanterns
- Metal ends of dropfiles used as hooks to hang the lanterns on
- Title (Word – text effects – printed – enlarged and laminated)
- Christmas lights
What to do:
- Cover the board with the wrapping paper
- Bend the metal ends of drop files to create hooks (or any other hooks) and attach them to the board
- Cover the top part of the hooks with little pockets of wrapping paper to cover the metal
- Hang the lanterns on the ends of the hooks – secure with a piece of tape
- Arrange the Christmas lights over the hooks as well and secure the string to the board with little pieces of the same wrapping paper
- Use Blu-Tack to play around with the title – where does it look good?… where does it fit in?
- When you are happy with the place for the title, staple it to the board
- Attach tape to two sides of the boxes (double sided to give it strength) to enable you to staple them to the board
- Use Blu-Tack to secure the boxes to the board and staple them (on the tape) when you are sure they are in the right place
- I used the lids of the boxes as well. Because they are not so heavy I stapled them directly to the board
- Cut the straws to the right length and secure them to the board using a glue gun
- Cut small pieces of straws and use the glue gun to secure them to the inside of the boxes to prevent the books from sliding out
Stand back and have a look at your display – does it feel right? Does it need change?
If you are satisfied with the look of the display get the books out and arrange them on the shelves
I used Blu-Tack to secure some books to the lids as they are too shallow to keep the books in place without it
Plug in the Christmas lights and let it sparkle
This display is used to showcase favorite books of the library staff – it is a random collection with no particular theme